What car(s) are you working with?

While we’re hacking away independently, it would be nice to bounce ideas and questions off of other folks with similar cars (and access to the M2). I would make this a poll but I think there will be too many responses…

So what vehicle(s) are you going to be working with? If a lot of people respond I’ll tally up the numbers and edit this post for quick reference.

I’ll start off - I’ll be working on my 2015 Nissan Leaf, and probably play with it on my Wife’s 2012 Mazda 5 for kicks (when she isn’t looking).

I have an '09 Cadillac CTS which uses both the standard high speed CANBUS and a lower speed SWCAN.

My other vehicle which will likely get more of the development with regards to the M2 is an '03 Chevy Avalanche that is “blessed” with j1850 VPW protocol.

I do currently have access to various work vehicles that are ford, gm and dodge trucks and cars but those will be limited and most if not all vehicles will be less than 8 years old so expect all will be CANBUS compatible.

Rodney

Great idea and something I have been thinking of. I’m trying to find a way to organize things so you can see what others with similar cars are up too. I think this can be done with tags. I will try to set that up soon.

I’ll be tinkering with my friend’s 1995 Camaro (SBC 350), I confirmed from him that it does have OBDII, but haven’t confirmed more than that.

I’d like to use it when I put a rebuilt engine in my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (4.7 HO).

Remote start on my '14 Subaru Crosstrek hybrid with a cell phone is on my mind. Remote start on all the vehicles is on my mind.

My '08 RAM 2500HD 6.7 diesel already has EFI Live and remote start (fob, not phone), but I might tinker there a bit.

I’d also really like to tinker with my Dad’s '95 Sierra 2500 454ci; it is not OBDII; same with my '89 GMC Sierra 1500 350ci.

I have a 2015 Jeep Renegade that runs great and a 2006 Ford Escape with a severe mechanical problem. I have done some extensive CAN reverse engineering on both of them. The Jeep has 3 CAN buses brought out to the OBD-II connector and the Escape has 2.

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX here. I know there’s been a fair amount of reversing done on protocols for it (I guess there’s a Subaru proprietary protocol for getting higher-speed data access, or something?), so I should have a pretty decent starting point there.

1 Like

2009 Honda Element. Goal is to have everything lock/unlock with one click of remote and never auto lock. Also turn off seat belt buzzer, my co pilot, and joring team mate, is a 60lb Rhodesian Ridgeback and the buzzer bothers him.

Project #2 is to run a J series Honda motor on the stock ECU without the automatic transmission attached. Currently they will run but only in limp mode.

I pretty much only work with GM…

Mostly just the GMT-900 truck/SUV platform…slowly getting into K2xx truck/SUV as well. 29-bit SWCAN, LIN, 11-bit dual-wire CAN. But most mid-2000+ CAN-based GM vehicles all share a common electrical/communications architecture anyways, so if you figure out something cool on a tahoe, it’ll probably work just the same on an Impala…

I also mess around with older GM vehicles on occasion, J1850VPW. (class 2).

Looking forward to receiving my macchina…

Ben

I’m patiently waiting for hardware to arrive, and plan to learn more about the device as I start playing with it. Initially, I’d like to get a clear understanding of the traffic on the bus in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3. I have a spare car of the same make and model, and I’m hoping to pull out the ECU, instrument cluster, and some of the wiring harness to produce a test jig for more exploring.

I’ve been programming in C for 30 years, and have some experience with Arduino and embedded systems programming. I’m a little worried about the lack of standards and the lack of clear information about what to expect on the bus communications, but I’m hopeful with a project like this one that might improve.

I’ve got a 2006 Mercury Milan (Ford Fusion rebadge) and a 2014 Nissan Leaf. I was happy to see this gist on github for flashing the lights on a 2006 Ford Fusion - https://gist.github.com/macchina/952aa986151b436e54f1498823575e21

2012 Chevy Volt I already made an android app using OBDLink MX bluetooth module to mimic telematic and remote functions from another project that I am working on. Here is the link if someone wants to follow that forum.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?276865-Onstar-OVMS-alternative-MyVoltStar I am looking forward to seeing what more Macchina can do vs this limited function OBDLink MX module. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA7ugE-fLXo

1 Like

I’ll be working mostly on a 2016 Honda Civic Touring. It has all kinds of tech so I’m hoping there will be a lot to play with. I’ll also have access to a 2016 Mazda3, but it’s the SO’s so I’m sure she’ll limit my face time with it’s internals :slight_smile: .

Seems like a wiki to track tips/tricks/working/not working per Manufacturer/Model/Year (or year range would be a great thing to get going)

1 Like

I’ll be working with either a 2002 Honda Civic Si. I eventually want to work with my 2005 Honda Civic coupe, but I have to finish putting the K24A2 in the car. Remote start is one thing I want to get into a bit.

2008 bmw 335i here. I’m travelling currently. When back in the happy seat, I’ll be looking to do some bus decoding. Eventually want to gsm up a web driven interface.

2012 Cadillac CTS-V. My goal is simplistic compared to others, though will require me to learn a lot. I want to be able to use the factory stereo controls with an aftermarket radio, along with controlling the screen to go up and down when needed. I am looking forward to learning about the CANBUS system and seeing what other things I can do with it.

2013 Toyota Corolla and 2009 Honda Odyssey. I have a zubie 3G as well as zubie 4G device in my vehicles already (full disclosure I’m a software engineer for the the company). I have a splitter cable in my Toyota so can run 2 devices at the same time. The zubie devices only have read OBD II capabilities so I’m looking to experiment with write operations like door unlocking / lock and remote start. I’m also curious to experiment with code doing read functions while the car isn’t running as this has come up as a difficulty in some device installations (around .1% of vehicles do odd things in this mode). So just genuinely curious about learning how it all works.

I’ve gotten my hands on a Honda Electrical Troubleshooting manual for my car. It’s got the schematics of the entire electrical system along with documentation on each sub system.

2016 Kia Sorento here.

I have access to my wife’s 2014 Chevrolet Cruze as well, but don’t plan much for it.

My fun car unfortunately can’t be of any use since it’s a 1979!

2017 Nissan Maxima. Also just ordered a Maxima gauge cluster off of eBay so I can sniff the bus in the car, and send the signals to the test bench so I dont risk messing with my new car that has < 1000 miles on it.