Remote diagnostics/send and recieve remotely

Hello all. I was interested in being able to send and recieve CAN data over the internet, in near or at real-time, for pulling DTCs remotely. From what I’ve gathered, this is a multi-layered problem dealing with not just hardware, but packing CAN frames into TCP/UDP packets and then having some kind of server for processing.

I have found no off-the-shelf hardware and software solution for something as simple as scanning a car remotely. The tech exists, and I know of many large diagnostic companies who use it, but nothing in the open source community.

To be clear, I don’t need to do anything but transport these can messages across the web. I don’t need any decoding/reading of these messages, and the scan tool protocols should handle that part.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? Or maybe offer a basic roadmap of this project? I come from a C#/ASP.NET background, and of course automotive electrical diagnostics (at the repair level not design/engineering) There’s alot I’m still learning, and just don’t really know where to begin.

1 Like

If you add a cell module that can broadcast data over a 4g or 5g network that will work with the M2 you could do this pretty simply. Would require some software on the M2 and on your receiving PC to transmit the data but wouldn’t be a big thing. Just time consuming. The P1 would also work and would likely be a better candidate since most of the work is already in place.