How do I install an under-the-dash M2 under-the-hood?

hey Josh! I got everything working great! I realized that the locks in my car are on a separate can bus. How would I connect the m2 under the dash version to a spliced connection to the lock system?

There are multiple ways to do this…

Also depends on how you want to do it, do you want to keep your M2 connected to the ODBII port?

I would start with an ODBII extension cable. They have a male and female ODBII connector and are available pretty cheaply. If you are going to use your M2 and tie into it and just make use of the second CANBUS for your other bus. You need to find the CANHI and CANLO on the port for the second bus (See documentation in the guide to find out the pins used for the second CANBUS port)

Find the wires in the cable that relate to those pins. They have “wire stabbers” which are very sharp points. These get used with a VOM and you look for a continuity between the pin and the wire you want. When you find the wires you want you need to cut them and splice in wires. You then need to splice the wires to their related wires in the bus your using… ONLY use the M2 while plugged in for this. If you may unplug the M2 make sure your also connected to a ground and +12 elsewhere.

If your not going to keep the M2 plugged into the ODBII port then you need to basically use same method as above but connect your cable to the CANBUS Hi and Low, Ground and +12 volts.

I actually bought connectors with a little cable on it for mine but your better off getting an extension cable and modifying it.

Another method if your going to plug in your module and your comfortable with soldering is on the board where the connector is soldered you will see where the pins are soldered to the board. You can identify which pins are which pins on the socket and solder wires directly to those pins for the CANBUS Hi and Low for the second canbus and just run those to where your going to tap your other bus.

In MOST cars the BCM is the bridge between the different databuses and you can likely tie into it there if you have the pinouts of it. And hopefully your BCM is mounted near the steering column and is easy to get to. I know on any GM I have tinkered with it is mounted on or near the firewall and the steering column.

I would like to install this permanently to my bcm so i can control it through my phone using blynk. Would it just be easier to purchase the m2 under the hood version?

In a word yes. The Under the hood version has a plug you can hard wire into the system and leave in place.

Not sure what Blynk is but you certainly could add a cellular modem and be able to control with your phone but would require programs on the M2 and your phone to make that work.

Rodney

If you do use the under the hood option (and you probably should) then do yourself a favor and be smarter than me. The UTH version has a plug on both sides of it. They’re one pin off in width. The 1 pin narrower plug fits really nicely into either side. God help you if you put it into the larger side. There will be smoke, there will be burning, there will be suffering. Don’t do that. Be careful which side you’re plugging into. It helps if you plug the larger side in first as you can’t mess that one up. If you don’t use the larger side then still snap the larger plug into it so that you can’t mix them up. I learned this the hard way.