Help using SuperB

I have a M2 V4 and SuperB module. Both are setup and working in the Arduino IDE on my Mac. I have the transport sketch on the M2, and I’m able to upload sketches to the SuperB. I was able to see the serial output of the “WiFiScan” sketch on the SuperB via serial monitor.

I have a few questions that I couldn’t find answers to in the documentation.

1. Can I send AT commands to the SuperB using the M2, and if so, how?
  2. How do I upload Arduino sketches to my M2 via SuperB Wifi/BT?
  3. How to use SavvyCAN via SuperB Wifi/BT?
  1. Yes you just send them through the UART port. The same as you are doing now with the programming. Just be aware of possible collisions if you send an AT command through the SuperB that need to get to the other side. I have not looked that close at the AT commands to see if they collide with any of the ELM or STN commands. There may be a command that allows you to pass things through the superb with it ignoring AT commands within but I do not know without looking at the documentation myself on it.

2. I do not believe this is possible at this time. I believe the USB port is the only supported port for programming purposes. It is a standard Arduino Due processor so do some research and you can find out if there is a way to program it through a different UART port. I believe the SuperB uses the UART in the XBEE port if I recall properly.

3. At this time SavvyCAN doesn’t support using any method other than the SerialUSB port. It should be a simple matter to just convert all of the SerialUSB lines to the Serial1 or whatever port the SuperB is running off of within the M2 code. With this method you would then want to connect via bluetooth serial driver on whatever computer you are running SavvyCAN on and it SHOULD work fine. As far as SavvyCAN would be concerned you are still connected via a Serial port regardless. It might be a little dicier to try and use through a WiFi connection because you would have to find a WiFi based Serial driver available on your PC to connect to the M2. Bluetooth should be pretty simple.

Thanks.

1. OK that seems completely obvious now haha. It was late. I’ll get the hang of this thing eventually. :slight_smile:

2. The docs say "You can even program SuperB to act as a wireless bootloader ". Sounds like they’re talking about loading sketches into the M2 wirelessly. I don’t think I’m ready to write a bootloader myself yet so hopefully somebody else figures it out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. The description said: “Better yet, you can reprogram SuperB to wirelessly connect SavvyCan, creating a wireless car hacking dynamic duo with M2!”, which I took to mean “just download and install X”, but I guess it really means “If you make your own X”. :sweat_smile: That means M2RET would have to be modified to send data to the bee UART rather than native USB right?

Collin got his SavvyCAN working over wifi back in May of 2018.

This needs a how-to.

The changing over should be as simple as a replace all SerialUSB with the Serial1 or whichever port the SuperB resides on and manually connecting to it.

A little work but not much. I don’t recall seeing Collin actually modifying the code to work on any other port. I have plans to make new firmware to do this from scratch but I have been busy and have not been able to get back to this.