CAN on a 2006 Chevy 1500?

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Chevy 1500 I am glad I found this thread as my M2 was needing to get used! I am going to try to build a Library of all the sensors and codes I have in this truck, does anyone know what the majority of them are or if there is a start of a library? I am a web/mobile app developer and would like to make some sort of database if someone has not started one!

You might be interested in this thread: Collaboration on CAN Frame Decoding

tl;dr there are two relevant projects that I am aware of: CANiverse (description, source) and opendbc.

CANiverse currently has no movement behind it but aims to be a database and a web-based editor of the data (but has no data at this time there are people around familiar with the project if you want to pick it up.

opendbc is really just a store of information that is known about various (mostly newer) vehicles. I you are lucky you may find your vehicle there. If not and you acquire the information via reverse engineering (or otherwise) you can submit a pull request to add it.

None of that stuff will be of any use to oharkins because his vehicle (chevy silverado) doesnt even use CAN…

Sorry Ben, in 2006 they used a Hybrid system. Looking at the service manual right now.

They used both CANBUS and Class 2 bus in 2006. I BELIEVE basically the only difference between 2006 and 2007 is that the stuff that was still on Class 2 bus in 2006 was switched to the SWCAN bus in 2007. But yes 2006 DOES have canbus.

So kind of a hybrid system.

I don’t see the CANBUS connections on the BCM but they are there on the engine control module and related modules. Not going to spend the time to look at all of the modules but since I don’t have a 2006 I don’t know if you are only able to pull the engine/trans and ABS stuff from the canbus or what. The J1850 likely will just be the BCM stuff such as the Cluster etc.

So 2006 will be a strange beast since it will have components compatible with 2005 and newer and components compatible with 2007 and older.

As to collaboration. The GMLAN Bible is about the only resource currently available. CANiverse is CANBUS only but there are some other stuff out there.

I may put up some stuff on my host on Christmas Break for the J1850VPW stuff.

I hope to find stuff for my '03 Avalanche but I am going to be busy trying to get everything done I am currently working on.

Rodney

No they did not!!!

You’re gonna have to trust me on this…Ill bet you 8 billion dollars a 2006 silverado 1500 does not have CAN anywhere on it, unless its a gas/electric hybrid model (RPO code is HP2). I have been reverse engineering, designing hardware/software interfaces for the GM trucks/SUV’s for 12 years now and have taken them apart module by module and harness by harness.

The only GMT-800 trucks/SUV’s that had CAN are:

2004-2007 Silverado 1500 hybrid/electric
2006-2007 Silverado 2500/3500 with duramax diesel
2006-2007 Silverado 2500/3500 with 8.1 big block gas

Read your schematics again, this time more carefully…

You’re completely missing that there was a body style/platform switch in 2007. Early 2007, you could get a GMT-800 silverado, and 2007.5, the GMT-800 was discontinued and GMT-900 was rolled out.

GMT-900 was 100% CAN for both interior and chassis and drivetrain/powertrain.

For the rare GMT-800 with CAN (06-07 duramax, 04-07 hybrid)…they only used CAN for OBD port to ECM/TCM diagnostics, and ECM <–>TCM communications.

Those CAN applications, the ECM and TCM communicate with the body, ABS, chassis, etc on Class 2.

The ECM and TCM on the duramax speak both Class 2 and CAN. They speak Class 2 to the rest of the truck, and CAN to eachother, and the OBD port/scan tool.

On the hybrid trucks, theres the hybrid control modules, ECM, electric power steering, and a serial data gateway for CAN <–> Class 2 stuff. Note I said serial data gateway. NOT BCM!!! The BCM is separate and identical to any other 2003-2007 GMT-800.

If the truck is a 2007 or older GMT-800 gas, there is not a single byte of GMLAN anywhere on it.

I have literally explained this 10000x on various forums over the years, but STILL nobody seems to understand or comprehend where and how Class 2/CAN was used on GMT-800…I dont know if its because they get hung up when they see “CAN”, confuse the terms “CAN” and “Class 2”, cant read a schematic, or what…

If you have a 2007 or older GMT-800 truck/SUV, just forget about CAN completely…unless you have a Duramax diesel, or a gas/electric hybrid, its totally irrelevant.

Look…

2007 Silverado duramax diesel, and 8.1 big block with Allison transmission only.

Suburbans and avalanches with the 8.1 dont have the Allison and dont have any CAN whatsoever.

ECM, TCM, GPCM. Thats it!

And the 2004-2007 GMT-800 gas/electric hybrid trucks.

Gas-only GMT-800 had zero CAN…unless 8.1 big block with Allison trans.

I don’t have a 2006 so doesn’t really matter to me and certainly not worth arguing about. I have heard from multiple sources that in 2006 they had both buses in the full sized truck including the Avalanche forum I have been on since 2010 and this information was given out well before then. I did NOT hear that CANBUS was only on some vehicles. That is news to me.

I could spend a couple hours trying to find it in my Service manual but since it doesn’t apply to me I probably won’t. And realistically regardless if the truck has CANBUS or not the stuff the 2006 truck owner here is looking for will be available on the Class 2 (J1850) port since they didn’t incorporate SWCAN until 2007 when they did the full redesign.

They’re all wrong. Just because 100 people said it doesnt mean its right. Thousands of people all swore up and down the world was flat at one point too. :roll_eyes:

The 2002-2006 GMT-800 avalanche never had any CAN

Nada. None. ZIP!

I will mail you the title to my Sierra Denali HD if you find me a 2006 or older avalanche with CAN on it anywhere.

Again, this is because people dont know how to read schematics…this happens ALL THE TIME on forums!!! One idiot probably read a schematic wrong, confused something, blabbed it all over the forum, then 10000 other people ate it up and continued to regurgitate the BS info over the years.

I have the entire service manual for every single GM vehicle from 1990-2018 right here and have read the GMT-800/900/K2xx sections entirely cover to cover…at least a couple thousand pages. Thats the factory dealer service manual (SI). Not some crappy alldata, haynes, Mitchell, etc reproduction or interpretation.

Please, just trust me…I write custom BCM software, custom DDM software, custom nav unit software for the GM trucks and SUV’s. I dont know what the people on CAFCNA (Im gonna assume thats the avalanche forum you’re talking about) have as far as experience and qualifications, but Ill gladly debate them any day of the week.

You can go read your service manual all you want; you wont find CAN in any GMT-800 truck or SUV, unless its a duramax diesel or gas/electric hybrid truck.

And like I said, even those diesel/HP2 vehicles had EXTREMELY limited use of CAN. Literally just between the ECM and TCM and glow plug controller. The ECM and TCM also both speak Class 2!! So there was no CAN-Class2 gateway or BCM or anything involved in those vehicles either. The ECM and TCM both speak to the rest of the truck directly via Class 2.

Your 2003 avalanche is electrically identical to the 2004-2006 avalanches…the only big difference is 2005-2006 they added ESC. XM antenna’s were revised several times, Onstar antenna was redesigned on the 06. 03-05 had a vacuum-fluorescent PRND321 display, 06 had an LED PRND321 display. 2003 had a glovebox light, deleted for MY04. 2003 IPC cal had some oddities in the boot routine…and the duty cycle/control for the high beam indicator was different. They routed it to a different GPIO pin on the processor for model year 2004.

Mid year 2004, they updated the onstar module with CDMA cell/modem hardware…because the FCC was shutting down the AMPS cell network in february 2008 or something.

HVAC module software cal is slightly different on 2003 because they had customer complaints on AC cycle temp threshold/cutoff.

2003 the heated seat buttons were raised…people kept hitting them accidentally so for MY04 they made the buttons recessed.

2003-early 2005 they forgot to add a jump routine to the memory seat cal where if the user pressed the recall button more than twice per ignition cycle, it would reset the reference point and the seat would either move forward and trap you in there, or just not remember the proper position. Silly little things like that because 2003 was the first year of the GMT-800 mid-cycle enhancement.

Besides that, 03-06 Avalanches were identical. That includes the lack of CAN lol.

Ben

Dropping the discussion as it really isn’t going to get us anywhere. We both agree regardless that the information people are interested in is available on the Class 2 bus for 2006 regardless of the model and if it supports the CANBUS or not.

I have the same service manual except mine only goes through 2009.

I am sure yours likely has some updates mine doesn’t have if GM updated anything. (Such as the datalink map for 2006 which is NOT in my manual.)

PS, some people STILL swear the earth is flat…

Rodney