Beta developer schematics

Hi guys, looks like my M2 will arrive Friday…cant wait!

Any chance that the early beta testers/developers could get access to the M2 schematics/board stuff this week? I have a couple existing Due CAN sketches that I want to work on porting over to the M2 hardware so Ill be all ready to start tinkering this weekend when it arrives!

Thanks again
Ben

1 Like

Yup, we will have all of this for you ASAP. It will definitely be our highest priority by the end of the week.

Having access to that material by the time I get home this evening would be great. Tracking info says my package will be delivered this afternoon/evening. :smiley:

Just got mine!! Unit #16 out of 100.

PCB design looks incredible…I still cant believe you guys shrunk an entire Due onto this thing. Its smaller than some ELM327 adapters, yet has 5895331767x more power and capability. Well done!

The modular design is really slick too.

Cant wait to start messing with it. Looking forward to checking out the schematics so I can get an idea of I/O mapping, CAN transceiver control pins, J1850 tx/rx, VPW/PWM, etc.

Ben

Which I/O’s are the onboard LED’s tied to? I plugged it in, blue LED came on…I just assumed that blue LED was pin 13…uploaded a “blink” sketch, and now the blue light doesnt come on…so obviously its tied to a different pin on the Due.

Ben

Hey everyone, here are the schematics on Github! We are super excited to see what you all have to say. All of the developers who sent us the survey will have their kits shipped out this week!

Here is the repo where you can find the schematics and component locator:

Here is a good place to start if you need help getting the Arduino IDE set up:

https://www.macchina.cc/guide/m2/getting-started

And here is where we cross-reference the M2 pins with the Arduino pins:

https://www.macchina.cc/guide/m2/processor/pin-mapping

Let us know if you have any questions, see any errors, have any suggestions or that sort of thing. Thank you and welcome aboard!

1 Like

Awesome thanks Josh! Really cool to see how it all works.

Are the PCB board files/layout going to be posted? Im curious more on how exactly the I/O’s work, and exactly how the circuit gets traced from the CPU to the actual pin on the connector. I know its on the schematic there, but I still kinda like following PCB layouts from beginning to end to learn about these things.

Thanks!
Ben

Yep, for sure. We’ll get them cleaned up and posted to Github soon.

1 Like

Just opened up my package. #59 and I have two questions…
Are the 3d printing files for the 2.0 box accurate for my under dash version?
(College is still in session for 1 more week then finals and we can print out any 3-d stuff. We pay $7 per print so hopefully your 3d stuff is setup to print out as one unit. )

And what is the connector for on the opposite end of the ODBII connector? I did not see a diagram for this or not sure what I am looking for.

Thanks for the message. Let us make a small tweak to those 3-D print files and post them to Github again. We’ll do that ASAP and post a note to this forums when they are ready. We’d like to verify that everything fits well and we have a good source for screws and that sort of thing.

As for XBEE board accommodation, we’ll probably make a couple versions of the top half to for different height XBEE modules.

Just wondering if you guys had a chance to take a look at the PCB files yet and add them to Github?

Thanks
Ben

I spoke with the people at school that do this and they need to know the size head suggested to print the boxes out.

I have the ODBII plug on mine but I am going to guess that the same version box will work with both types.

Rodney

Josh-

Just wondering if you guys had a chance to get the PCB files cleaned up and posted on Github?

Thanks!
Ben

Ben,

Thanks for your patience on this. We’ve posted up some PCB layer files to the repo - they should let you follow the traces to see how things are hooked up. We’ll post up more files down the road after the design is final and we start shipping Release units.

https://github.com/macchina/m2-hardware/blob/master/PCB-01005%20R2%20PCB.pdf

https://github.com/macchina/m2-hardware/blob/master/PCB-01006%20R2%20PCB.pdf

Keep in mind that these views look through the board.

Awesome thanks Josh!

I honestly didnt even realize it was a 4-layer board until I saw those PCB files you posted.

Now its a bit easier to trace things, particularly the GPI/O circuits. I was still a bit confused and had trouble visualizing them, but the board layout should help.

I assume at some point down the road when the release units start shipping, we’ll be able to take a peek at the Eagle files?

Thanks again, really loving this thing. When Collin has a chance to tweak the M2RET code to make the MCP2515/SWCAN work natively with SavvyCAN, that will really be the icing on the cake…rather than having to do my ghetto hack of using the second mid-speed CAN transceiver as a modified-SWCAN setup to make SWCAN work with SavvyCAN.

Ben