Arduino IDE setup

Just a note to those who are new to the Macchina. You must be using Arduino IDE v1.6.11 or later in order to be able to program the Macchina. I use v1.6.4 of the Arduino IDE for one of my projects because of some specific hacked features in some of the libraries. When you attempt to compile and upload a sketch using an IDE older than v1.6.11, the compile works but the upload does not. You get random errors associated with not being able to wake up the interface.

I’m not sure about this… I’ve personally been using 1.6.13 for a while on a WIN 7 machine with no issues. What OS are you using?

What is everyone else out there using?

I have been using 1.6.12 and it works just fine. No compiling or uploading problems as of yet.

Well, I tested up to v1.6.7 and the programming part did not work. Maybe IDE’s from at least v1.6.12 on work just fine? I went from v1.6.7 to v1.8.2 and the problem went away. So, I went back to v1.6.4 and the problem returned, updated to v1.6.7 and the problem was still there - then updated back to v1.8.2 and all was good again. I don’t normally use any version beyond v1.6.4 (which is the fastest compiler version). I just wanted people to know about the compatibility issue, because it drove me nuts.

After some experimenting it seems you need v1.6.11 or later, which includes support for flashing the CPU used on the Macchina, so I have edited my original post.