Announcement for Digi 4G Modem users: SIM card update

Over the last month, we’ve been working with Digi, Telit and Hologram to understand how to get M2 onto a no-cost cellular network using Hologram’s Developer Program. A VERY long story short - due to a technical limitation, the Telit LE866 modem found at the heart of the Digi 4G XBee module is not compatible with the Hologram SIM. A firmware upgrade for the LE866 is in the works, but an ETA is not available at this time.

Fortunately, there is a very straight-forward solution. That solution is to use a Verizon-branded SIM card - just like the Digi Developer kit. Unfortunately, unlike the awesome Hologram Developer Program, service on these SIMs is not free.

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wireless-LTE-Nano-Card/dp/B00A7YRIJK

We are happy to get you one of these SIM cards if you don’t already have one. We’ll organize a list of possible providers on the forum, along with notes of how well they work. With this information, you’ll be able to sign up for whichever plan is right for your application.

In the meantime, we will be trying out this service. $5 for 1MB of data per month.

We apologize for the inconvenience here; we were really hoping to find you free cellular service, but it is not going to be available for a while. Please contact us at info@macchina.cc and we will provide you with a compatible Verizon-branded SIM card right away.

Team Macchina

Any idea if this SIM/Provider would work: https://www.ultramobileiot.com/

A VERY long story short - due to a technical limitation, the Telit LE866 modem found at the heart of the Digi 4G XBee module is not compatible with the Hologram SIM. A firmware upgrade for the LE866 is in the works,

Without digging into the whole saga, is it possible to get just a little more info about the incompatibility, so we can try to suss out which other SIMs may work and which ones may be similarly afflicted? Is there an easy AT-command way to check a SIM once it’s slotted into the modem, besides head-scratching over “am I doing something wrong? or is this just a bad SIM?”

Has anyone confirmed whether a google fi data sim will work? (t-mobile network)

I upgraded my Sprint phone to a Verizon phone but still have the SIM card left over from that Sprint phone. Would this sim work? I am considering getting a cellular card for mine after first of the year to integrate into M2RET also. Although might be a little strange to be able to look at a car anywhere in the world from home.

Rodney

If only coverage were that good :wink:

My “Drone” is a Verizon module and it works pretty much every where I have tried it. Baring out in the country, on top of mountains etc…

I plan to install a repeater in my truck which will let me broadcast much further for it and any cell phones I am using. Those will give you full strength signals as long as your still line of site regardless of distance.

Rodney

Quick update for those working with the DIGI 4G modem:

We’ve had some success using Nimbelink to activate the Verizon SIM cards mentioned above.

Setup is easy - go here and make an account. Decide how much data you’ll use. (We chose the $5 a month plan)

Next step is to type some information from your SIM card and modem into their setup page:

Type that information in here to activate:

It will take a few hours for the status to show ACTIVE.

From there, follow the instructions on this page to use DIGI’s XCTU application to test your new active modem:

http://docs.macchina.cc/m2/build-something/cellular.html

I am considering picking up one of these modems for myself.

Looking at their page there are some subscription options. Is there a setup fee for these cards? I don’t see one other than for the “Deployment Kit” which shows a 1 time setup fee of $500 then $6 a month after that but doesn’t show what data per month?

I am totally new to this type of card. Does not look like it would work well if someone wanted to run SavvyCAN over cellullar? But might be interesting to play with for other stuff.

Hi…is it possible to get just a little more info about the incompatibility, so we can try to suss out which other SIMs may work and which ones may be similarly afflicted? Is there an easy AT-command way to check a SIM once it’s slotted into the modem.

pcb assembly