3D printed enclosure files

Just posted some files to the repo for 3D printed cases. We used 4 of these screws in each assembly. We like this translucent plastic so you can see the 5 single-color LEDs through the case. These were printed on an Ultimaker 2 machine.

Thanks! I was just talking to our intern at work about building one of these in CAD and his personal 3D printer…he reminded me of the picture of it on Kickstarter and I was hoping to see this!

What version of Solidworks did you use for these/

I believe these were designed in SW 2015.

I mentioned this in another thread but what size head is suggested to print these?

I forget the actual measure they were talking about but the numbers they were using was 6 for their normal printing but they have a 4 head available if the finer stuff is required.

Thanks!
Hate carting my unit around unprotected.

The print nozzle size (diameter) only matters if you are trying to use the gcode provided. If you have a slicer program the print nozzle diameter is used when creating the gcode. .4mm is the industry standard, so I would assume the gcode file in the github archive is using that. If you need a different size, I can re-slice the data using Simplify3D.

If you need some changes to the case, I can make them in Solidworks.

Ok the schools default is to use the .6 mm heads for whatever reason. I will make sure they know to use the .4mm head. They said it is not a big deal just that they need to know about it before hand.

Their only other requirement was that they needed to be in STL format which they already are so I’m golden. Was told I have to wait until next semester starts now though because they are shut down. (May 8th)

Thanks!

With an .stl file, you have everything you need - except the slicer that creates the gcode file. I have never seen a 3D printer that uses a .6mm print nozzle. What printer are they using?

Ill have to wait for a couple weeks before they open back up. If I get a chance to stop on campus wed I will stop by and ask them for more information. Not sure if they use different filament and they have a line of cheap stuff for the .6mm or what. I have never gotten involved with 3d printing myself.

Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to see what free software I can grab to create some pieces. I am assuming Blender isn’t a good choice.

I put up my version on thingiverse as well. Includes buttons. Prints without supports. Snap fit, no hardware required.

1 Like

I’ve also started remixing PunKidd’s enclosure to support XBee modules. I’ll post my Thingiverse link once I’ve fixed some of my own stupidity in the remix.

I ordered a copy of PunKidd’s 3d printed box from the college I am going to. They are about a week out so we shall see how it turns out. They don’t adjust anything so I may have to trim to make the buttons work. We shall see.

Since they do it for students for free I won’t complain.

I just submitted a pull request to the Macchina GitHub repo to add my M2R2_XBEE_CASE_TOP_UTD.stl to their project. It simply adds 2mm above the connectors so my BTLE or Wifi XBee modules fit.

I’m still messing w/ PunKidd’s enclosure to make the same changes to it but I’m still a novice so it is a lot of trial and error.

Will your mod clear the ESP32 module? I need a reason to go back to the computer technology lab and have another box 3d printer… :wink:

Not sure … I haven’t received my ESP32 module yet. It does fit the BTLE and WLAN XBee modules I purchased before the ESP32 was announced (though not at the same time).