What are you using to read/write the blocks? Are you using the M2 to figure this out or a different interface?
I’ve been told VehicleSpy is the software used by a programmer I purchased a module from off of ebay. Might be worth looking into.
What are you using to read/write the blocks? Are you using the M2 to figure this out or a different interface?
I’ve been told VehicleSpy is the software used by a programmer I purchased a module from off of ebay. Might be worth looking into.
Can I ask what kind of setup you made to begin to sniff the isolated can traffic of just the HMI? Did you make up your own harness?
I’m doing this in car due to not having wiring harnesses for bench use.
I’m using the M2. Vehicle spy is just a glorified GUI. The M2 will interface with the bus all the same. Read GMW3110-2010 and it give you all you need to communicate on the bus. Learn that, use the M2 and you have the same power the Vehicle Spy has. VS still requires you to do digging to figure out which device is which etc. Pre global A stuff is avail online, global A is using different DID’s and PID’s, but works very similar.
Did you have any luck rewriting the VIN?
How were you able to determine which module was the HMI when you started sniffing?
I’ve been considering diving into this project because I don’t want to pay somebody in the hundreds of dollars just to swap in a new VIN into a module I paid 70 for.
I’m attempting to swap in a module for a 2017 vehicle into my 2014 vehicle. It’s not compatible on it’s own which is why I wanted to bench program. I could purchase a 2016+ module that had already been in a newer vehicle and already has the proper software on it and then change the VIN before I plug it into the vehicle.
I hope that you trying to write the vin in-vehicle while the HMI is attempting to communicate with all of the other modules isn’t the reason why it’s failing. On the bench the only thing talking to your device would be the M2, nothing else. I don’t know if that’s why it fails but it’s a theory.
I’ll pick up an M2 and start diving in myself.
I personally have not gotten this to work with anything. I am able to sniff and see traffic, but even with the help online, I’ve not been successful.
Nitro,
Would you mind detailing your bench-top setup for the HMI and which M2 you used (under hood or OBD port).
I’m interested in modifying both the radio module and HMI and would like to be able to do so on the bench.
I have one of the 30A power supplies on the way but I need some info in regards to a harness. Did you just hook up the wires from the M2 directly to the modules with some spade connectors on the pins? Did you wire them into a harness?
Please let me know when you have a moment. I’m interested in continuing to work on this project.
Thanks for your response!
Mine does not work. I tried bench with the OBD port and a modified cable. Both wired to a pin header (harness) as if it were in the car. Using the wires shown in the diagrams. I believe it may need an “activation” signal from the BCM. I have not had any time to revisit this in months. it’s collecting dust.
So what I’ve come to find out, even with updating modules via SPS off-board is you’ll need a wiring harness with an ECU and a BCM. The same might hold true for can bus read/writing on the bench. @Tazzi can you comment on this? or @redheadedrod
Thanks guys!
Modules will not chat unless allowed to by the “boss” and depending on the vehicle you are talking to that could be the PCM/ECU. However once you find out what the “wake up” command is you no longer need that in the harness to work with the module because you can just send it yourself.
I found this out in a circuit I had from a 2001 GM small truck. I had the BCM and cluster installed on my board and I couldn’t get it to do anything. Once I installed the PCM on the board everyone was happy and communicating. But I should be able to determine the “wakeup” command from scanning the databus and project that myself allowing the modules to communicate without the PCM in place.
Rodney
Appreciate the info, Rodney!
I can see this really becoming a rabbit hole to dig down into.
The question now is do I just pay someone $200 to get this taken care of or do I continue to dig and program them myself…
Might have to chose the latter. Thanks for your help guys!
I want to learn… just so I can… I just haven’t had time lately. I was able to program from SPS, but there are some things that aren’t working. I think the proper VIN will open those up. It would be nice to figure out how to program the different calibration files without going through SPS. They are saved on the computer in the cache, it’s just a matter of loading them properly.
I hear what you’re saying.
Basically I have 2 trains of thought for getting this done.
One would be to get the module programmed for your version of vehicle but with another VIN. For example, I have a 2014 Sierra. I want an HMI and Radio module from a 2016+ vehicle with up to date software and calibrations. I would obtain an HMI/Radio module from a wrecked 2016 truck, hook them up to the bench, and rewrite the VIN to my 2014 VIN using the M2 and then install them into my older model truck.
The second one would be something along the line of session hijacking. I’m not well-read on this topic, but I have to imagine it’s able to be accomplished. My thought process behind this would be initiate an SPS module program off-board using a 2016+ BCM and ECU bench harness, or directly in a 2016+ vehicle, capture the data being passed to the module, modify it on-the-fly, changing the doner vehicle VIN to our own vehicles VIN, and pass it back thru the harness.Whether software exists to accomplish this or if we are able to pass SPS data after the initial session is started is unknown to me.
Again, just need to wait to get an M2 in and start messing around myself.
Also, not sure where the info is stored on the physical memory of the module but it might be easier to dump the memory of the chip itself, modify the dump and reflash it to the proper VIN.
Just some thoughts for the morning. I’ll keep everyone posted.
I own 2 2017 Camaros. 1 with options I want. The other without. This was how I initially got the new HMI programmed. The problem is that I did not change the VIN. So SPS has OTA locked out. If I program the module using the correct VIN for the car, I go back to the old module (I05)… but I do get OTA. This is kinda why I’d like to figure out how the beat the checksum stuff and push the proper calibration files based on what options I want in the Module.
What options are you trying to gain from the 1 hmi vs the other?
1 car came with I06 with navigation, color changing LEDs… etc. Full package. The other… I05. So far I have Nav working by programming via SPS using the other VIN. OTA calibration file is different when I use the proper VIN vs the other VIN. The hardware (wiring / accent module / display) is installed for the accent lighting, but I need the BCM to have this option enabled now for it to fully work. I’m trying to get ACDELCO to release a VCI number for me to update my BCM.
Please let me know if they ever get back to you.
From what I’ve been told, getting the VCI numbers from them can be a pain. ACDELCO discourages any form of customization to our vehicles.Even dealers have had hard times adding in packages that weren’t initially installed into the vehicle.
Keep me posted.
Also, are you using a clone MDI or an OEM one by Bosch?
I see you had a VCX Nano. I am holding one in my hand that has a return shipping label attached to it. Sketchy flashes and failures.
I have the NANO… but was successful using a clone MDI. I also have the GDS 2 software. So I’ve been able to activate certain things and do different queries while running the M2 connected. Watching for patterns. Still haven’t figured out the right commands needed to send to the appropriate ID (HMIs ID)… to get the VIN to change. Ultimately, it would be awesome to be able to code something that would load the calibration files. I have them cached from programming both cars. lol
I don’t think you’ll be able to hear anything over GDS2 with the M2 in regards to the HMI files you’re after.
I haven’t been able to do anything in GDS2 with my radio. I’m not sure if I can dive deeper but there were no options for volume up, nav testing or anything of the sorts. I haven’t dug in very far though.
I think that we might be able to pull the modules apart, dump the eeproms and potentially rewrite them.
If the EEPROMS are not soldered directly to the board, I could see that as an option. Unless there are only a couple pins needed (serial in/out, ground / power)… then some sort of rig to program them. Knowing the proper addressing would be important too. Where to update the VIN. A simple “clone” of the “Good” I06 module would be cool… but only if the VIN could be fixed.
I have my old 2.0 I05 HMI as well as a newer radio module. I’ll crack them open later and see what we’re dealing with for chips. Worst case I need to desolder the board and put it in a reader. Best case there’s a socket under the chip and I can just pop it out.
I’ll keep you posted.